www.flickr.com
daniellih's items Go to daniellih's photostream

Nov 26, 2011

Thanksgiving break!



So as you know it (or you might not know it), I went to salt lake city with Frances and her friend Mandy.
and this is a super super long post. hope you'll enjoy it.

Let's start at Wednesday when my thanksgiving break has started.
So I was already done with packing. I didn't forget anything which is kinda amazing.
So after my last class on Wednesday, I grabbed my stuff and called a cab.
My fist attempt failed completely. This was what had happened:

"Hello, emmmm... Hummmm... So my address is 3801.... Umm... at Brooklyn ave..."
And then the yellow cab person just said something I did not understand.
And I said, "what?"
And they hung up the phone.
I was speechless.

And my second attempt worked awesomely.

"Hello. I'm from University of Washington and I am going the Seattle tacoma airport."
Then they asked me which dorm do I live in.
And I said, "Stevens court"
"which building?"
Wow they really do know a lot around the UW area!
So I said, "B"
"ok, sir. There will be a cab picking you up in 20 minutes."
"ok thank you."

When the cab arrived, the yellow cab called me but I completely missed the call. But anyway, as soon as I saw the missed call on my phone I quickly grabbed my stuff and ran outside and hey, the cab was just right in front of the exit way!
Then I chatted a bit with the driver then arrived airport.
I checked in with the delta airline self check in machine which is incredibly convenient. And I check in my luggage. went through security check which is, as usual, hideous. Shoes off, jacket off, things in pocket out... blah blah blah
Then I met up with Frances and Mandy. 
I grabbed a sandwich at the food court, I guess it wasn't late enough because everytime when I was flying back to Taiwan the food courts and stores were all closed, it's like a ghost town. But that night was as lively as a market.

Then we boarded onto the plane and had a 2 hours flight which is nothing comparing to my usual 10 hours flight between Seattle and Taiwan.

It was incredibly amazing how I met Martin on the flight. (i am not even sure if i spelled the name correctly... sorry about that)
So Martin, he is a bioengineerer. He took the same English class with me last winter. And I believe I saw him in many other classes too. And once I was hanging out and having dinner with my roommates, he was with us too. So I chatted with him and he was going home for the thanksgiving. He suggested several things to do in Salt lake city and yeh we talked about all the required classes for bioengineering.
Super amazing ah? It's like destiny or something (nah, it's just we're in the same major). Well hopefully I will see him soon sometime in the future.

When we arrived salt lake city, we took the hotel's shuttle and got to the hotel (duh)
The driver was really nice. He drove and showed us around the city.

The hotel was pretty decent. there's this covered up pool just beside the lobby which grabbed my attention.
it's like the typical motels with a pool you see in the movies. pretty nice.

we went out to the nearest convenience store called Maverik and bought some necessities and i got a salad. the night we arrived was thanksgiving eve so there was literally no one on the street. like no one!!
we walked around and took some photos and i wasn't even worried about my camera getting stolen.
that's wednesday.

woke up at around 1 pm thursday. haha we all woke up super late. anyway, we went out and walked around the city. we went to Temple square and it's beautiful.
the street was kind of empty since it's thanksgiving day, so it's not surprising.
so there's a super huge building in the Temple square which i think it's the temple itself. 
it totally reminded me of a video game i used to play with my brother and it felt just like i was the character in the game walking in a town with a huge castle or whatever.
anyway, we had dinner at a traditional American restaurant. i had a steak and i liked it. super American. love it.
that's thursday.

and woke up at around 8 am friday cuz guess what? it's Black Friday :D
shopping!
we went to a nearby shopping mall called the Gateway. it's a really beautiful place with all kinds of stores. 
shopped shopped and shopped.
i got 40% off on 2 Hollister shirts. got 50 % off on a beanie. got 50 % off on a puffy vest and a cap. a leather protective spray for my boots. 30% off on 2 buy-one-get-one-free t-shirts. 30% off on a Nyan-cat pin badge.
the t-shirts i got was totally pure awesomeness. one is LMFAO shuffle t-shirt and the other one is deadmau5 t-shirt!!! LOVE them! and of course the nyan-cat pin badge was pure awesomeness as well.
The awesomeness is found in a store called Hot Topic. i also found the Bacon Strips t-shirt in that store (if you watch Epic Meal time then you know what i'm talking about).





but but but… i didn't get a rain jacket :( didn't see the one i like… so i'll have to get one here in Seattle sometime later D:
anyway, I had a wonderful day shopping.
we watched a movie when we're back at the hotel room. it's called Ladda Land (陰地) which is kinda scary and really sad. 
that's Friday.

then woke up today at 8 something took a shower and grabbed my stuff and went to the airport.
checked in, boarded.
sat at 21E which is the the middle of two other guys.

took a cab with Frances back to U District and now i'm back to my room.
I opened the main door and saw my roommates playing video game at the living room and they're all dressed up for the game this evening called Apple cup. (i'll just skip the explaining for Apple cup. you can go look online if you don't know what's the Apple cup)



"hey, Daniel. you're back"
"yeh"
….
"are you guys going to the game?"
"…yeh."
"oh, alright. have fun."


Somehow, I felt distant from them… yeh… sad :/
i walked into my room
 and saw my empty desk and then looked at the to-do lists.


"11/28 BIO reading quiz
11/29 BIO reading quiz
11/29 BIO pre-lab 8
11/29 BIO practice exam 8
11/30 BIO reading quiz
11/30 BIO practice exam grade
12/2 BIO reading quiz
11/30 MATH 3.7
11/30 MATH 3.8
11/30 MATH 4.1
11/30 MATH 4.2"

I sighed and knew it's time to get back to work.

but first i have to blog about all of this :D

Even though we didn't really went to a lot of places in Salt lake city, but hey! I still relaxed and had fun.
i have to say it's really great to take a break from my routine life.
i'll probably be staying at my room for the whole thanksgiving break doing homework and nothing if i didn't go to the trip with Frances! That would be very very sad.

ok time to ummm… go back… to work? 
yeh… i'll start with math probably… math really helps me concentrate.

3 comments:

  1. Despite how much work you've got every post in this blog just screams your college life is awesome. I'm always jelly :/

    And OH LOLLL HOT TOPIC. It used be (maybe it still is?) a store for kids who wannna be "punk" without even knowing what "punk" even is.

    And why is it Black Friday I mean it ain't even the 13th LOL

    Anyway when are you (and yo bro) coming back this winter???

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeh i love college... btw i saw some of your tumblr posts... and seems like you're not going well with your college. we should talk more about this...

    haha i don't know about that. yeh i saw some ear piercing things in the store so i guess you're correct.

    got this form Wikipedia:
    "The day's name originated in Philadelphia, where it originally was used to describe the heavy and disruptive pedestrian and vehicle traffic which would occur on the day after Thanksgiving. Use of the term started before 1966 and began to see broader use outside Philadelphia around 1975. Later an alternative explanation began to be offered: that 'Black Friday' indicates the point at which retailers begin to turn a profit, or are 'in the black'."
    have no idea what it's talking about... lol

    i am going back on dec 19th. my bro isn't going back this winter. he has to take classes. poor him.
    and when's your winter break?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When business turns into black, it means it becomes profitable. Black vs red, like profitable vs. loss. Because the sales on Tanksgiving is usually huge, so retailers can turn their profit into positive (profitbale or black).
    Dad

    ReplyDelete