www.flickr.com
daniellih's items Go to daniellih's photostream

Mar 4, 2012

thoughts on multi-nationality.

When it comes to nationality, my feelings are mixed.
Yes, it's advantageous. You can exploit resources from different nations and benefit from them.
But I find myself struggling to fit in and relate to both country.
maybe it's just one of my excuse of being socially inactive, but here're my points.

I'm both a Taiwanese and an American but I personally don't think I'm a true Taiwanese nor a true American. I'll say probably part Taiwanese and part American.

It's certainly not a huge problem to anyone or to me.
but sometimes I hold back my decisions because of this.

I hate to think this way but I don't want people to think like
"He's not a real American, he probably doesn't understand."
"He's not a real Taiwanese, he probably doesn't understand."

;/
ok i think i'm thinking too much.
maybe just have to work on my social skill.
since i don't really see this problem when i'm with my friends.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Daniel,
    You are absolutely right. People don't pay too much attention on whether you are true American or not, but on how you are the person and how you perform on your own field. They respect you if you do good even if you are a foreingner.
    I made a few very good friends when I studiedly Ohio State and they respected me and I am no doubt a true foreigner. You are a true American, so you should better off.
    Nationality is nothing but a political statement. When it comes people relationship, it doesn't play any role. Let yourself be free of this. It has nothing to do with your daily life.
    Cheers,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for replying Dad.
    Yeh I think that make sense. Nationality is just a political statement. It doesn't define Anything about a person.
    I'll try to live free without it on my mind.

    ReplyDelete